At least once a day I get an email where a girl (so far it’s only been girls) asks me how to attract readers to her website and blog successfully. The answer is “I don’t know”. I’m not a pro and I don’t have much blogging experience. But I can share what I like in a blog and what I don’t.
What I like:
- Nice and unique blog design, that’s the first impression
- Good photography
- Many pictures of the person behind the blog
- It must be easy to comment
- It must be easy to go to the previous page
- The content must be unique, that goes for both photos and texts
- I want to see the personality of the blogger!
- I like blogs with a decent amount of text, not just pictures
- Blogs that update daily
- When a click on the header brings me to the front page. I like that.
What I don’t like (any of these can make me leave a website in a second):
- Bad design! Really dark colors or flashing banners are very off-putting
- The same goes for using default designs of the blogging platform
- Verification words (captcha)! These annoy me a lot.
- Bad shaky photos of any kind. Too dark, overexposed etc. Unless it’s art or funny.
- Stolen content. I don’t like it when bloggers don’t link back to the source of the photos and other material they post.
- When I get no presentation of the blogger.
- Bad language. And by that I don’t necessarily mean dirty language. Rather, incorrect use of words, too many exclamation marks, misspellings, incorrect punctuation…
- And the worst of them all. When you open a website and MUSIC starts to play! That’s just more than I can take.
- Right-click protection. What’s that all about?
I hope this helps to answer some of your questions. What do you like and don’t like when it comes to blogs?