Monthly Archives: February 2013
Yesterday we were at the first routine check-up of Johannes since leaving the hospital. The news we got there were great! It turns out that he has already gained 12 percent of his initial weight! Of course, we were thrilled to find out that our baby boy is getting stronger so fast. That’s the kind of thing that makes you feel like a good parent.
Another thing that made me happy was to find out that I’m back at my pre-pregnancy weight. I mean, the pregnancy experience was amazing and interesting in many ways, but I must say that towards the end of it I was feeling a bit heavy and clumsy. And all the small things, like not being able to put on my own socks or painting the nails on my toes myself!.. Don’t even get me started.
Johannes and I have managed to take some portraits of the two of us. Unfortunately, he was asleep all the time. Cute!
One question that I get a lot these days is what beauty routines I had during my pregnancy. The truth is that I did all the things that I usually do without avoiding any particular products.
The one thing I did extra was to use a lot of anti-stretch mark creams. I was so worried that I would get some stretch marks somewhere on my body while being pregnant that I was rubbing these creams in night and day like a maniac! Needless to say, I went through many different kinds of anti-stretch mark creams and a lot of tubes of them.
I know it’s hardly possible to prevent the appearance of stretch marks with a cream, because it mostly depends on different hormonal factors, but for me it was more of a psychological thing. I needed to feel like I was doing something.
Here are some of the ones I used:
- Sebamed Anti-Stretch Mark Cream. The one I liked the most and went through 3 tubes of this one and really loved the smell, the consistency and its moisturising properties. Ok to use while nursing, too. Ordered from feelunique.
- Phytomer Seatonic Stretch mark reducing cream. This one was really expensive if I remember correctly. It contains some kind of algae and feels really rich and luxurious on the skin, and I’m using it for moisturising even now when the pregnancy is over!
- Bio-oil. This is supposed to be a miraculous product for every skin condition, including acne and stretch marks, but honestly, it contains the simplest and cheapest ingredients and smells weird.
- Bodyshop Hemp Seed Body Butter. Another weird smelling product, but this one is actually really good. I’m a fan of the hand cream from the same line, too. Hannes got this body butter for Christmas, but wasn’t interested in using it, so he gave it to me instead.
- Bepanthen Crème anti-vergetures triple action. Bought this one in Paris while buying the regular Bepanthen cream for the baby. It may be good, but the consistency is quite weird and makes it really hard to spread on the skin.
- Paula’s Choice Skin Revealing Body Lotion with 10% AHA. Last but not least, my favorite AHA product. I used this one for exfoliating, as usual.
And before you ask, this story has a happy ending. I didn’t get a single stretch mark anywhere on my body, but of course, we will never know if it was my frantic usage of anti-stretch mark creams that helped or not.
These days we get a lot of flower deliveries from friends, family and colleagues. The flowers are all really pretty, but every now and then some of the flower heads droop or start to wither.
Fortunately, I have a great way of taking care of these poor flower heads. I have this special vase, which consists of many small cavities in which I place the flower heads.
I don’t know of anyone else who has this kind of special vase, and I’ve never seen it in a regular store. However, sometimes they have them in thrift shops.
I’ve previously made a post about collecting flower heads by a flower shop, and this is what I do with those as well. It requires a bit of work, but the result is a very pretty centrepiece.
Guys, I can’t describe how touched I am by all your kind comments and emails! I hope you can forgive me for not being able to answer all of you personally, as there are lots of other things I need to do these first few days!
But what I can say is that I’m so unbelievably happy now, in a way I had never imagined I’d ever be. I mean, I was truly looking forward to meeting my child while I was carrying him, but the way I feel about him now that he is here has really exceeded my expectations by far. I think euphoric might be the word. I guess, it’s that kind of unconditional love I’d heard of before, but couldn’t relate to. But it turns out you have to experience it to know it.
And yes, it all hit me the moment I held him for the first time, and I knew right away that this feeling was forever.
He is here now! Born a week before expected, on February 7th, 3 kg, 50 cm. We call him Johannes.
We are so happy and proud and pleased with ourselves now!
I thought today we’d take a look at some of my recent Instagram photos!
Everyone were supposed to wear masks to the party:
I just got myself an Instagram account, but I think I’ll be updating a lot. I go under swedishloveaffair.